One of several lookouts along the escarpment in the Darks Common and Bluff Reserve, Chalmers Lookout offers a view out over Glenbrook Gorge and the lower Blue Mountains Mountains Park.
The fenced lookout was named on the 16th of November 1932 after Hugh Chalmers (1889-1958), for his community work – Chalmers was the Foundation member of the Faulconbridge Progress Association. (It wasn’t named after Captain Tom Chalmers of the Faulconbridge Brigade, who lost his life bushfire fighting in 1968 – and who has a memorial along the Shaws Ridge Fire Trail.)
While the views from Chalmers Lookout are not that spectacular, it’s a nice spot to catch the sunset.
Getting to Chalmers Lookout
It’s an easy 300m return walk from the end of Emu Road (Glenbrook), which is three kilometres or a 6 minute drive from the town of Glenbrook. There is a covered picnic table near the large carpark.
- Lapstone Public School – Darks Common and Bluff Reserve [PDF]
- Blue Mountains Heritage Review – Bluff Reserve [PDF]
- Monument Australia – Captain Tom Chalmers & Firefighters Greg Eley & Peter Hawkins