This Aboriginal engraving site along the route of an old telegraph line which followed Shark Rock Ridge is somewhat intriguimg. It was first documented by W.D. Campnell in 1899, who described two turtles, an emu, four shields and an “imperfect figure of a man”. Many years later, McCarthy described the same site as having two koalas, “posed as though clinging to or climbing trees” as well as a legless bird, four shields and a single man.
One koala has a human-like foot, and was described as a “composite human-koala figure”. The four shields may indicate four men, who have not been drawn.
MCarthy suggested the site may represent “a hunting incident in the mythology or a totemic ritual”.
On the large tesselated rock platforms are remnants of a small number of heaped rocks, what may have been stone arrangements.