Summary: A large shelter in Popran National Park, the Upside Down Man Cave has over 274 motifs, representing three engraving types.

Located in Popran National Park, the Upside Man Cave or Shelter (UDM) is a “a large and cavernously weathered shelter” which measures approximately 17x6x3.5m. The art within the shelter consists of engravings, paintings, drawings and stencils, with over 274 motifs in total. (The shelter was extensively researched by Jo McDonald in 1991, with the age of the art estimated to date from around 1500 AD.)

awat6338 lr Upside Down Man Cave (Popran NP)

A pecked upside-down-man (one of three three male anthropomorphs) is at the end of the far end of the cave. He is through to be the source of the shelter’s name (although there is also a red drawn upside down human). This figure is pecked (intaglio), one of three drawing styles in the cave, with the spine of the figure more deeply pecked than the rest of its body.

awat6384 lr Upside Down Man Cave (Popran NP)

There are two more petrogryphs or engravings of male human figures, one pecked (intaglio), and the other a “miniature-Sydney style” (pecked and abraded) outline engraving.

Many of the 274 motifs are hand stencils (55 in total were recorded), of which 36 were of hands and 18 of hand variations (hand and wrist, hand and arm, finger manipulation).

awat6352 lr Upside Down Man Cave (Popran NP)

As well as the engraved men, there are a number of painted red anthropomorphs (one has a white outline) beneath white outlined macropods. A number of these, like the petroglyphs, have three fingers.

awat6341 lr Upside Down Man Cave (Popran NP)

Other pigment art includes male and female anthropomorphs, macropods, snakes, echidnas, reptiles, fish and eel, tracks, material objects, geometrics and a shield. These are have been painted in charcoal, white pipeclay and red ochre.

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Hiking the World, and receive notifications of new posts by email. (A hike is added every 1-2 weeks, on average.)

Join 1,149 other subscribers


Leave a Reply

Aboriginal Sites by National Park

A review of different techniques for photographing Aboriginal rock art. This includdes oblique flash, chain and planar mosaic imaging which combines hundreds of overlapping photos.
The Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area protects over 3,000 known Aboriginal heritage sites, and many more which are yet to be recorded. This area includes the Blue Mountains National Park, Gardens of Stone, Wollemi National Park and Yengo National Park.
Yengo National Park was an important spiritual and cultural place for the Darkinjung and Wonnarua People for thousands of years, and 640 Aboriginal cultural sites are recorded in the park and nearby areas.
Located to the north-west of Sydney, just south of the Dharug and Yengo National Parks, Maroota has a high concentration of (known) Aboriginal sites. Many more Aboriginal heritage sites are located in the Marramarra National Park. The original inhabitants of the area were the Darug people.
Over 40 sites have been recorded within the park; many were located along the river bank and were flooded by the building of the weir in 1938.