Summary: A long and deep shelter near the Taber Trig, with charcoal drawings (documented by Campbell) and red hand stencils

Near Taber Trig is a long and deep shelter, containing Aboriginal art which was originally documented by W.D. Campbell in 1899.

At the back of the shelter, Campbell described charcoal drawings of a man or deity, a wallaby and a third figure, which may also be a wallaby.

SWA PLATE XX Fig 7 Taber Trig Shelter

The man is still visible on the back of the shelter.

AWAT1021 LR Taber Trig Shelter

Also visible is the charcoal drawing of the kangaroo.

AWAT1017 LR Taber Trig Shelter

As well as the charcoal drawings, the shelter has six red ochre hand stencils.

Also noted in a later recording are vertical yellow markings.

AWAT1023 LR Taber Trig Shelter

Just below the shelter is a small Aboriginal engraving site, which includes a kangaroo and fish.

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Hiking the World, and receive notifications of new posts by email. (A hike is added every 1-2 weeks, on average.)

Join 1,149 other subscribers

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Aboriginal Sites by National Park

A review of different techniques for photographing Aboriginal rock art. This includdes oblique flash, chain and planar mosaic imaging which combines hundreds of overlapping photos.
The Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area protects over 3,000 known Aboriginal heritage sites, and many more which are yet to be recorded. This area includes the Blue Mountains National Park, Gardens of Stone, Wollemi National Park and Yengo National Park.
Yengo National Park was an important spiritual and cultural place for the Darkinjung and Wonnarua People for thousands of years, and 640 Aboriginal cultural sites are recorded in the park and nearby areas.
Located to the north-west of Sydney, just south of the Dharug and Yengo National Parks, Maroota has a high concentration of (known) Aboriginal sites. Many more Aboriginal heritage sites are located in the Marramarra National Park. The original inhabitants of the area were the Darug people.
Over 40 sites have been recorded within the park; many were located along the river bank and were flooded by the building of the weir in 1938.