High on a ridge above Smiths Creek, beyond the Wilkins Track, is an Aboriginal engraving site. It features two large emus – both over four metres in height – which were documented by W.D. Campbell in 1898 and later by Fred McCarthy in 1983.
Although McCarthy doesn’t provide an interpretation of the site, he states that the pair of emus could be “a) copulating, b) dead and laid side-by-side on the ground, c) standing one behind one other or d) a giant mythological pair”.
The two emus are still very distinct, having been described by Campbell as “clearly cut”. A lot of detail is still visible in the carvings.
A third emu, below the main pair, is more weathered and hard to make out. Near the emus is a “broad fish”, almost six feet in length..
At the end of the site is a sheod