An enormous Aboriginal engraving of a whale (just under 12m in length) above the Resolute Track.

On a large rock platform above the Resolute Track is an enormous Aboriginal engraving of a whale, 35 feet long and 24 feet wide (it’s almost as large as the Waratah Trail whale, which is 41 feet in length). The whale has “two fins on one side, ane one on the other, and a disproportionately small tail. At its nose, which appears incomplete, are several lines, parts of indeterminate objects or appendages to its head. The grooves are weathered… Immediately behind the whale are are several faint lines which suggest the outline of another whale, but except for the nose and parts of the fins and tail (?) this has weathered away.

AWAT9868 LR Resolute Track Whale

A few metres north of the whale is a fish.

AWAT9876 LR Resolute Track Whale

Indigenous sites by National Park

Over 40 sites have been recorded within the park; many were located along the river bank and were flooded by the building of the weir in 1938.
Many sites Aboriginal engraving sites across the inner suburbs of Sydney have been destroyed or are very weatheredl. The sites which remain are isolated from their natural environment.
Located to the north-west of Sydney, just south of the Dharug and Yengo National Parks. Maroota has a high concentration of (known) Aboriginal sites. The original inhabitants of the Maroota area were the Darug people.
Yengo National Park was an important spiritual and cultural place for the Darkinjung and Wonnarua People for thousands of years, and 640 Aboriginal cultural sites are recorded in the park and nearby areas.
There are over 350 Aboriginal engraving and sites recorded in the Central Coast region, many of these in the Brisbane Water National Park.
Over a hundred Aboriginal sites have been recorded in the Hornsby region, with many of these in the Berowra Valley National Park and around the suburb of Berowra.


Leave a Reply