Summary: A small Aboriginal engraving site with a kangaroo and Daramulan figure, on a small rock platform near the Coba Ridge in Marramarra National Park.

Along a rough track to the Coba Trig station is a small rock platform, which contains Aboriginal engravings – the site was once signposted, but this has now been removed. The most obvious figure is a kangaroo, which is very distinct and may at some point been re-grooved.

AWAT0650 LR Coba Ridge Engraving Site
AWAT0652 LR Coba Ridge Engraving Site

Nearby and much less distinct is what appears to be a Daramulan figure (a sky hero associated with Baiame).

AWAT0655 LR Coba Ridge Engraving Site
AWAT0663 LR Coba Ridge Engraving Site

Subscribe via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to Hiking the World, and receive notifications of new posts by email. (A hike is added every 1-2 weeks, on average.)

Join 1,164 other subscribers


Leave a Reply

Aboriginal Sites by National Park

Located to the north-west of Sydney, just south of the Dharug and Yengo National Parks, Maroota has a high concentration of (known) Aboriginal sites. Many more Aboriginal heritage sites are located in the Marramarra National Park. The original inhabitants of the area were the Darug people.
Yengo National Park was an important spiritual and cultural place for the Darkinjung and Wonnarua People for thousands of years, and 640 Aboriginal cultural sites are recorded in the park and nearby areas.
Over 40 sites have been recorded within the park; many were located along the river bank and were flooded by the building of the weir in 1938.